Sunday 10 June 2012

A RUSKY


 



I have never spoken to Russians directly until I met some of them on a ship I happened to be sailing on.
Being curious by nature and after having asked the usual questions about life in Russia, etc. etc. etc. the matter turned to Religion. Do you believe that there is a God I asked one and he told me No. I do not believe in a super being. What happens to you once you leave this earth. Well, we just go into the ground and that’s the end.
I began to look at life from a different angle. Do I need A God. Well all of my life I had someone to turn to when helpless and here I meet  a person  who does  not turn to some divine being for help they search for strength from within and ofcourse from near and dear ones. Live and learn has been my motto for a long time.
During a boat-drill on this ship which is all about lowering lifeboats and abandoning ship in an emergency, this Russian mate and I got to talking about dangers in lowering a boat . Not my line of work, anyway,He related how on one of the Russian boats he was serving on, the lines holding the boat being lowered accidently snapped/unhinged  and he and a fellow who was on that boat being lowered got thrown into the icy waters and were under that boat which had turned turtle. (Today boats are more state of the art) Any way, both he and his friend managed to swim out from under that boat and were rescued by their mates. The water was so cold that in another five mins or so  they might not have made it to safety. As he finished relating this story, I heard THS say: “ I helped him”.  I  smiled thinking it was a joke and added but he is an atheist, he does not believe in you.
His answer: These are good people. (He never ceases to amaze me.)
Belief in God or Good People?  
The Owner of this Universe will decide whom to help and whom not to; not people who think God has made them judges of the living by succession to st. Peter or who ever  They do not really believe in God. Even if they did, they have no right to make laws in his name. SRT

No comments:

Post a Comment